To solve the mystery of which cookie pairs perfectly with a glass of Allagash Black, we held an employee cookie contesteux. A bunch of us baked our favorite recipes at home, brought them to the brewery, and let the tasting commence! The winner of best pairing and best in show was Lee’s Chocolate Cookies with Bourbon and Smoked Salt. Yum! Check out the recipe below.
Chocolate Cookies with Bourbon & Smoked Salt
Makes about 20 cookies
170 g (6 oz.) unsweetened chocolate
113 g (4 oz) bittersweet chocolate
53 g (1⁄4 c) coconut oil
43 g (1⁄3 c) all-purpose flour
1⁄4 tsp baking powder
1⁄4 tsp salt
267 g (1 1⁄3 c) sugar
1 1⁄2 tsp instant espresso powder
1 tbsp bourbon
- Chop unsweetened chocolate and place in a double boiler over simmering water with the coconut oil. Stirring constantly, melt. Once melted, remove from heat, set aside, and let cool to room temperature.
- Chop the bittersweet chocolate into large chunks, about the size of big chocolate chips. Set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt to combine. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl with the paddle attachment, combine the eggs, sugar, espresso powder, and bourbon. Beat on medium high for about 5 minutes, until pale and fluffy and the batter drops off the beater in a thick ribbon. Fold in the flour mixture, followed by the cooled, melted chocolate mixture. Fold in the chocolate chunks. Cover and chill until firm, about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Place 1-11⁄2-inch balls of dough onto lined cookie sheets. Sprinkle the dough balls with salt.
- Bake the sheets one at a time for 8 to 10 minutes, rotating once halfway through baking. Remove the pans from the oven when the tops are dry, but the centers are still soft. Let the cookies cool for at least 10 minutes. Serve with an Allagash Black.
Original Recipe: at desserts for breakfast.
Lee is a quality specialist in our lab. She loves surfing, all things related to the ocean, and is an excellent baker!