Food » Recipes » ICE Cooking Contest »
Allagash Comfort Zone: Allagash BBQ Burgers with Sweet Potato Beer Wedges
Recipe by Stephanie Teekaram
Sweet Potato Beer Wedges
- Allagash White Beer, 12 ounces
- Sweet potatoes, (medium) 7
- Oil for deep-frying
- Salt, (to taste) 1 tablespoon
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Peel sweet potatoes. Cut into wedges about a quarter inch thick.
- Pour beer into a large bowl and place sweet potato wedges into it. Place a towel or paper towel on the top to keep the potatoes submerged. Let sit for approximately 45 minutes.
- Heat oil to 370 degrees.
- Remove potatoes from beer and save liquid.
- Once oil is hot, fry potatoes until just golden brown.
- Remove from oil before completely cooked. Place on an oiled sheet tray. Pour about a half cup of saved beer liquid into pan and put into the oven for no longer than 10 to 15 minutes.
- Check at intervals to ensure that the beer does not completely evaporate. Add more beer liquid if necessary.
- Remove from oven. Serve hot with burger.
- Allagash White Beer, 48 ounces
- BBQ sauce, (plain) 1 gal.
- Chipotle pepper, 2 cans
- Pineapple, (fresh) 1
- Cucumbers, 2
- Red bell peppers, 3
- Yellow onions, 2
- Worcestershire sauce, 1 ounce
- Angostura bitters, 2 tablespoons
- Allagash White Beer, 12 ounces
- Idaho potatoes, (large) 2
- Water, 1 cup
- Ground beef, 2 lbs
- Lemon, 1
- Bunch of scallion, (roughly chopped) 1
- Spanish onion, (large, cut into eighths) 1
- Celery sticks, (roughly diced) 3
- Garlic cloves, 5
- BBQ sauce, 2 cups
- Paprika, 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric, 1 teaspoon
- Sugar, 1 tablespoon
- Eggs, 2
- Seasoned breadcrumbs, 1 cup
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a saucepot combine Allagash White and water. Bring to a boil.
- Peel Idaho potatoes. Cut into quarters and place into boiling beer liquid.
- When potato is completely cooked remove from liquid. Save liquid. Put aside potato to cool.
- Squeeze lemon juice into ground beef. Mix thoroughly and let sit until ready: approximately 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, in a robocoup, grind together scallions, onion, celery and garlic. Add to ground beef.
- Add all other ingredients, including salt and pepper to taste.
- Shape beef into eight patties. Place on a sheet tray and freeze for ten minutes.
- Heat grill pan and grill burgers on each side for approximately five minutes. Before flipping from one side to the other baste with saved beer liquid from potatoes.
- After flipping three times, begin basting with BBQ sauce. Baste and grill approximately 15 minutes.
- Place burgers in a medium sized pan and pour BBQ sauce over to barely cover.
- Place in warm oven until ready to serve.
- Prepare eight Brioche burger rolls. Spread Allagash BBQ sauce on rolls.
- Shred two heads of Romaine lettuce and place desired amount on bottom half of bun.
- Cut four yellow tomatoes, and four Roma tomatoes, into thin slices. Place two slices of red tomatoes on top of lettuce.
- Put the burger patty on the top of yellow tomatoes. Add three slices of Roma tomatoes.
- Cut 1 Hothouse cucumber and place two to three slices of cucumber on top of Roma tomatoes.
- Place top of bun on burger. Place toothpick on burger at points. Cut burger into four pieces, each having a toothpick. Serve on a platter with Sweet Potato Beer Wedges.
2005 ICE Recipes
- Allagash White Sausage with Roasted Red Pepper Polenta and Smoky White Sauce
- Allagash White Flapjacks with Sunny Wheat Syrup and Spiced Whipped Cream
- Allagash White - Apple Upside-Down Cake
- Allagash and Saffron Steamed Tilapia in Banana Leaf
- New England-Style Pasties
- Allagash Comfort Zone: Allagash BBQ Burgers with Sweet Potato Beer Wedges