Recipe by Stephanie Teekaram
Yields 6 servings
- Powdered gelatin, 1 ½ teaspoons
- Milk, 6 tablespoons
- Heavy cream, 1 2/3 cups
- Sugar, ¼ cup
- Allagash Curieux, 1 teaspoon
- Salt, pinch
- Milk, 1 ½ cups
- Cardamom seeds, 10
- Chai Tea, (loose) 1 ½ tablespoons
- Egg yolks, 3
- Sugar, 6 tablespoons
- Rose water, 2 teaspoons
- Pink food coloring
For Panna Cotta
- Grease a dome shaped silicone pan. Set aside.
- Sprinkle gelatin over milk. Let stand until softened.
- Heat heavy cream and sugar in a saucepan over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved. The mixture is ready when the thermometer reads approximately 155-160 degrees.
- Add cream to milk/gelatin mixture. Stir until gelatin is dissolved.
- Stir in Curieux and a pinch of salt.
- Pour into oiled pan and chill until set, at least 8 hours.
For Chai Sauce
- In a saucepan combine milk, cardamom seeds and loose Chai tea. Simmer for approximately 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg yolks and sugar together until a ribbon-like effect forms when whisk is lifted.
- Strain milk mixture to remove cardamom seeds and Chai tea.
- Temper the eggs by adding a little of the milk to the bowl. Whisk until well combined. Add the egg, sugar, milk mixture to the remaining milk.
- Return the mixture to the stove. Stir constantly over low heat until the mixture thickens to a sauce-like consistency.
- Separate sauce in two halves. In one bowl place one drop of pink coloring in one bowl.
- Spoon a generous amount of pink sauce onto clean plate. Coat entire bottom of plate.
- Unmould Panna Cotta and place in the center of plate.
- Place white half of sauce into a squeeze bottle. Place 11 drops around the Panna Cotta onto pink sauce.
- Using a toothpick, swirl white sauce into pink to form a pattern.
- Serve immediately.
2004 ICE Recipes
- Allagash Frozen Happy Hour – Allagash & Honey Roasted Peanut Ice Cream
- Tortilla Soup with Allagash Curieux Braised Tomatoes
- Bloody Maria with Tomato Water & Allagash Curieux
- Venison Stew with Allagash Curieux
- Drunk Mussels
- Allagash Basted Roast Chicken with Beer Bread Stuffing
- Beer Panna Cotta with Chai Sauce