Food » Recipes » ICE Cooking Contest »
Brats & Saurkraut Simmered in Beer
with Allagash Herbed Beer Blanc
Recipe by Chris White
Yield 6 servings
- Onions 1 ea
- Bacon, diced 4 slices
- Caraway or Fennel seed 3 T
- Black Pepper 2 T
- Bay Leaf 1 ea
- Junniper Berries 5 ea
- Allagash Tripel Reserve 1 pt
- Water 2 cups
- Bratwurst 6 ea
- Saurkraut _ gal
- Pineapple 1 _ cup
- Cooked liquid & stock 2 cups
- Rosemary 2 sprigs
- Thyme 2 sprigs
- Mushrooms _ cup
- Honey _ cup
- Butter as needed
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Sauté onions in oil until caramelized, add bacon, degrease pan and add spices. Once aromatic, add beer and water, bring to boil, reduce to simmer.
- Add bratwurst to liquid until cooked through and reserve with 2 cups liquid.
- Add pineapple and saurkraut to the rest of liquid.
- Cook in oven at 250° for 2 hours
- Take 2 cups cooking liquid and simmer with rosemary and thyme and mushrooms. Reduce and strain.
- Sauté Bratwurst and serve with sauerkraut and sauce, Monte au beurre.
2003 ICE Recipes
- Moules Allagash with Grilled Shrimp & Scallops
- Allagash Drunken Shrimp with Cucumber and Garlic Dip and Orange-Chili Yogurt Sauce
- Allagash Tripel Reserve Belgian Ale Chili
- Allagash Chicken Gumbo with Shrimp and Andouille Sausage over Rice
- Brats & Saurkraut Simmered in Beer with Allagash Herbed Beer Blanc
- Allagash Chocolate Macadamia Crepes