Recipe by Robert Zimmer
A Buvette is like a snack bar or a taproom. These nifty little snack-sized chicken sandwiches, prepared with an Allagash brine and served with an Allagash aioli, are a perfect bite with a pint of Allagash!
(Yield 1 Cup)
- Sweat garlic and shallots in canola oil.
- Add the Allagash, thyme sprigs, black peppercorns,shallots, garlic lemon juice, sugar and salt and reduce to about half.
- Strain and return to the pan.
- Add the mashed green beans and the lemon zest, stir and continue to reduce to a sèc. (consistancy of wet sand)
- Cool and fold into 1 cup of mayonnaise.
For the Allagash Brine
- Bacon, 4 raw strips
- onion, 1 medium, diced
- Shallots, 3 minced
- Garlic, 4 cloves, crushed
- Black peppercorns, 1 teaspoon
- Allagash Four, 2 pints
- Kosher salt, 3 tablespoons
- Sugar, 2 tablespoons
- Thyme, 8 fresh sprigs
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Canola oil, 2 tablespoons
- In a saucepan or soup pot, caramelize shallots and onions in canola oil. Add garlic, peppercorns and 4 strips of bacon (cut in ½" pieces). Sweat until bacon is cooked.
- Deglaze with one pint of Allagash. Bring to a boil and add salt and sugar. Add the other pint of Allagash. Simmer for 30-40 minutes uncovered (reduce by about 1/3).
- Add thyme and lemon zest. Simmer for 10 more minutes. Cool.
- Chicken breasts, 6 skinless and boneless
- Bacon, 18 slices (about 1 pound) cooked
- Soak chicken breasts in Allagash Brine for at least 2 hours in refrigerator. Make sure that brine is cooled to below room temperature before adding chicken.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Remove chicken from brine and place on a rack in a roasting pan. Cover breasts with the remaining sliced bacon
Roast at 375°F for 40 – 50 minutes, until a meat thermometer reads 165° or until done. Allow to rest, remove cooked bacon slices then refrigerate.
For the Sandwich
- Baguette, 1 split and cut into 1/3's
- Tomatoes, 3 thinly sliced
- Carve each breast on the bias.
- Spread the cut baguette genreously with the green bean ailoi.
- Fan out 1 sliced chicken breast over the surface.
- Layer 3 slices of the cooked bacon over the chicken then again with the sliced tomatoes.