Recipe by Frank Choi
Yield: 6 (5-inch) square tarts
Assorted fruit slices (e.g. peach, strawberry, and kiwi) glazed with lemongrass infused Allagash Four syrup glaze on top of Allagash Four lemongrass pastry cream in a puff pastry shell made with Allagash Four.
Select fruits that are of contrasting colors and arrange the fruit slices in an alternating manner to maximize the effect. Pastry can be simply served individually on a dessert plate. Drizzle leftover glaze over plate.
Quick Puff Pastry Tart Shell
- All purpose flour, 9 ounces plus additional for dusting
- Cake flour, 3 ounces
- Cold butter, 12 ounces
- Salt, ¾ teaspoon
- Lemon juice, ½ fluid ounce
- Allagash Four, 6 fluid ounces ice cold
- Egg, 1 beaten for glazing
- Combine the flours in a bowl and mix well. Rub 3 ounces of butter into the flours until it disappears and is cool and powdery. Set aside.
- Cut the remaining butter into ½ inch cubes. Set aside refrigerated.
- Dissolve salt in lemon juice and Allagash Four in a cup.
- Add chilled butter cubes to the flour mixture and toss well with hands briefly. Add beer mixture into the flour and butter mixture and pack dough to form a rough cylinder and place it on a floured surface.
- Flour dough and press down with palm of hand to form a rectangle. Press and pound with rolling pin to flatten dough further to about ¼ inch thick. Roll over once or twice to flatten out any uneven areas. Fold both ends in toward the center, and then fold over again, to form 4 layers. Turn the dough so that the fold is on the left and then open flap at the right.
- Repeat step 5 three more times. Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate it for at least 1 hour.
- Roll out refrigerated dough to a rectangle (about 12 by 18 inches) of ¼ inch thickness. Use a sharp knife to cut six 5 inch squares.
- Fold each square along the diagonal to form a triangle. Cut along ½ inch from each short edge such that a 4 inch square and a 5 inch frame are formed. Roll the 4 inch square to a 5 inch square and dock it with a knife. Brush one side of the frame with egg wash and place on top of the docked square.
- Chill formed tart shells for 20 minutes.
- Brush egg wash on the top sides of frames of the tart shells.
- Bake shells at 425° F for 10 minutes and then 400° F for another 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Let baked shells cool.
Allagash Four Lemongrass Syrup
- Allagash Four, 24 ounces
- Lemongrass stalks, 4 (white part only) crushed
- Sugar 6 ounces
- Reserve 2 fluid ounces of Allagash Four for making glaze. Simmer the remaining Allagash Four and chopped lemongrass and reduce to about ½ cup of liquid.
- Strain the liquid through a fine sieve to remove lemongrass fiber.
- Cook the strained liquid and sugar in a sauce pan to a syrup consistency (around 230° F).
- Use two-thirds of the syrup for the pastry cream. Combine the reserved 2 fluid ounces of Allagash Four with the remaining third of the syrup to make the fruit glaze.
Allagash Four Lemongrass Pastry Cream
- Half and half, 1½ cups divided
- Cornstarch, 2 ounces
- egg yolks, 4 large
- Allagash Four, 2 ounces
- Butter, 2 tablespoons
- Dissolve the cornstarch in ¼ cup of the half and half.
- Combine the remaining half and half with the Allagash Four Lemongrass Syrup; bring to a boil.
- Whisk yolks into the cornstarch mixture. Pour one third of the boiling liquid into the egg mixture and whisk. Whisk the tempered egg mixture into the remaining boiling half and half mixture, whisking until the pastry cream thickens and returns to a boil.
- Remove from heat and beat in the butter. Mix in the 2 fluid ounces of beer. Pour the cream into a stainless steel bowl. Press plastic wrap directly on the surface. Chill immediately.
- 6 strawberries, hulled and sliced into wedges,1 can sliced peaches,2 kiwi, peeled and sliced
- Fill cooled tart shells with chilled pastry cream.
- Arrange fruit slices on top of the pastry cream.
- Brush fruit slices with glaze.