Food » Recipes » ICE Cooking Contest »
Allagash Frozen Happy Hour
Allagash & Honey Roasted Peanut Ice Cream
Recipe by Carolyn Beko
Serve with pound cake. Top with Allagash glaze and crushed honey roasted peanuts
Yields one quart – six servings
Honey Roasted Peanuts
- Store bought honey-roasted peanuts OR Peanuts, 1 cup
- Honey, 1 tablespoon
- Butter, 1 tablespoon
- Heat oven to 350 degrees
- In a small microwave-proof bowl, combine butter with honey and microwave 30 seconds or until butter melts. Stir in peanuts.
- Spread honeyed peanuts onto a sheet pan in a single layer and bake for 8-10 minutes until nicely brown.
- Cool nuts, crush into pieces and set aside.
Allagash Ice Cream
- Cream, 1 cup
- Milk, 2 cups
- Sugar, ¾ cup
- Whole vanilla bean OR 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Egg yolks, 6 gently whisked
- Honey, ¼ cup
- Allagash Curieux, 1 ½ cups
- In small pot, heat beer on stove on medium-high heat until boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 10 minutes to reduce down to 3 to 4 ounces. Set aside to cool.
- In medium bowl, combine egg yolks and honey. Gently whisk to combine.
- In medium pot, combine cream, milk, sugar, and vanilla bean (if using extract, add vanilla to egg mixture) and bring to boil.
- Whisk egg mixture while slowly pouring entire milk mixture into eggs. Return milk and egg mixture to pot and whisk constantly over low heat for one minute.
- Remove from heat and strain into one-quart freezer-proof container.
- Stir in reduced Allagash, cover surface with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Pour into ice cream mixer/machine and churn.
- Halfway through freezing, add crushed peanuts, reserving 2 tablespoons.
- Once frozen, serve a generous scoop of Allagash ice cream with pound cake.
- Top both with Allagash glaze.
- Boil 1 cup Allagash beer with 1 tablespoon honey and ¼ cup dark brown sugar until thick and syrupy.
- Drizzle over ice cream and cake; top ice cream with reserved honey roasted peanuts.
2004 ICE Recipes
- Allagash Frozen Happy Hour â€“ Allagash & Honey Roasted Peanut Ice Cream
- Tortilla Soup with Allagash Curieux Braised Tomatoes
- Bloody Maria with Tomato Water & Allagash Curieux
- Venison Stew with Allagash Curieux
- Drunk Mussels
- Allagash Basted Roast Chicken with Beer Bread Stuffing
- Beer Panna Cotta with Chai Sauce