Recipe by Jacqueline Rothong
Yield 6 servings
- 2 Pork Loins
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 clove garlic-smashed
- pinch paprika
- pinch cayenne
- 3 tablespoons Allagash Victoria Ale
- ½ stick butter
- 6 Tablespoons onion
- ½ cup Allagash Victoria Ale
- 1 ¼ cup cider vinegar
- 1 ¼ ketchup
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- ¼ tsp. cayenne
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch (if necessary)
- 1 cup mayo
- 3 Tablespoons cider vinegar
- 4 Tablespoons Allagash Victoria Ale
- 2 Tablespoons BBQ sauce
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 head of green cabbage
- 1 head of red cabbage
- salt – to taste
6 Kaiser Rolls (round) with sesame seeds
- Preheat convection oven to 350° F.
- Trim up the loins. Tie each loin to create even cooking throughout. Season the loin with salt and pepper.
- Combine the dark brown sugar, garlic, paprika, cayenne and Allagash together in a bowl. Rub over the loins.
- Heat a large sauté pan with just enough oil to coat the bottom. Sear the loins, forming a nice brown, caramelized crust. Place on roasting rack in a 350°F convection oven. Allow to roast for 15 min. Check internal temperature after 15 minutes. (internal temp 160° F).
- When pork is done, allow to rest and then slice very thinly.
BBQ Sauce (While Pork is roasting)
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Add the onions and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add Allagash and allow to cook briefly. Add vinegar, ketchup, dark brown sugar, cayenne, and Worcestershire. Bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer.
- Simmer for 20-25 minutes or until it has reached the desired consistency.
- Add cornstarch if necessary to thicken the sauce.
- Strain. Season if necessary. Set aside.
- Cut up the cabbage into thin slices. Place in bowl. Add the mayo, vinegar, Allagash, BBQ sauce and sugar. Salt to taste. Wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve slawich.
- Place in salamander for a few seconds to toast.
Start by layering the toasted roll with pork, slaw and BBQ sauce. There should be 2 layers of each. Slice through the middle and place on plate showing off the inside, delicious layers of the slawich. Add some more slaw on the plate in front of the slawich and serve!
- 1 roasting rack
- 2 (½) sheet trays
- 2 medium mixing bowls
- 1 cutting board
- trussing string
- 1 large sauté pan
- 1 medium sauce pan
- 4 measuring cups
- 1 medium whisk
- 2 serving spoons
- 1 pair of tongs
- 6 plates for serving