Spoiler Alert: Federico was this year’s cookie-and-beer pairing contest winner with his coconut cookies. The beer pairing this year was Hibernal Fluxus 2017, a saison milk stout featuring Notes of coffee and chocolate, with hints of tropical fruit and rustic spice. Below, you’ll find Federico’s recipe, perfect for chilly evenings and holiday celebrations.
* 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
* 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
* 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
* 1 1/4 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 2 2/3 cups all purpose flour
* 1 cup ~70% dark chocolate (You can use lighter if that’s your preference)
* Preheat oven to 325°F. Spread coconut on rimmed baking sheet. Bake until coconut is light golden, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes. Cool completely.
* Using electric mixer, beat butter and sugar in large bowl until well blended. Mix in salt and vanilla. Beat in flour in 2 additions. Stir in toasted coconut. Gather dough together; divide in half. Roll each half into a log; wrap each in plastic and chill at least 1 hour.
* Preheat oven to 325°F. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper. Cut each log into 1/2 inch slices. Transfer cookies to prepared baking sheets, spacing 1 inch apart.
* Bake cookies until light golden, about 15 minutes. Cool on baking sheets 10 minutes. Transfer cookies to racks and cool completely.
* Melt dark chocolate using a double boiler and drizzle over cookies. Allow chocolate to harden before serving.