What more is there to say about mac and cheese than: it’s cheesy, it’s comforting, and it’s about as delicious as food gets? Not much. Here’s our recipe for a three-cheese, flavor-filled pot of savory goodness.
1 lb dried macaroni
12-oz evaporated milk
1 tsp ground mustard
8 oz Gruyere
8 oz Gorgonzola
8 oz American Cheese
1 tbsp cornstarch
8 tbsp (one stick) butter
1. Boil pasta in salted water until al dente.
2. Meanwhile, mix together evaporated milk, ground mustard, and eggs.
3. Grate cheeses and toss together with cornstarch.
4. When pasta is cooked and drained, return to pot with the cubed butter.
5. Once the pasta is coated with melted butter add in the milk mixture, cheeses, and mix-ins (sauteed mushrooms and broccoli raab in this case). Stir until melty and gooey.
6. Season with salt & pepper, top with bread crumbs (and fried sage this time) if you are into that, and serve.